Northumberland Strait - eastern half
Issued 03:30 PM AST 17 January 2017
Tonight and Wednesday
Wind northwest 20 to 25 knots diminishing to north 15 early this evening and to light late overnight.
Chance of flurries late this afternoon and this evening.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water freezing spray ending this evening.
Low tonight minus 13. High Wednesday minus 8.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 17 January 2017 Today Tonight and Wednesday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Nova Scotia near 4655N 6045W to 4610N 6150W
to 4750N 6055W to 4720N 6330W to 4905N 6340W to 4840N 6150W to 5015N
5800W to 4830N 5925W to Newfoundland near 4805N 5905W. Sea ice north
and west of the ice edge.
Open water except 8 tenths of new ice including 3 tenths of grey ice
in the western section.
Warnings (In effect)
Northumberland StraitIssued 3:30 PM AST 17 January 2017
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:30 PM AST 17 January 2017 Tonight and Wednesday At 3:30 p.m. AST today departing trough located east of
At 10:00 a.m. AST Wednesday low 1010 mb located southwest of
By 8:00 p.m. AST Wednesday low 1002 mb located south of Georges
At 3:30 p.m. AST today ridge located from Quebec to the Gulf
By 10:00 a.m. AST Wednesday ridge located on a line north-south
over the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:18 PM AST 17 January 2017 A trough of low pressure just east of forecast waters will move away
this afternoon. Strong to gale force northwesterlies over eastern
waters will gradually diminish by Wednesday morning as a ridge builds
in. On Wednesday morning a deepening low will approach from the
Eastern Seaboard to lie south of Georges Bank in the evening.
This will give strong to gale force easterlies to southwestern
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for
Georges Bank-southern half, West Scotian Slope-southern half,
Banquereau and Cabot Strait. Freezing spray warnings are in effect
for eastern shore, Sable, Fourchu, Banquereau, Cabot Strait,
Northumberland Strait, Gulf-Magdalen, and Anticosti.
Atlantic - Maritimes Area
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Browns Bank
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore - eastern half
- Eastern Shore - western half
- East Coast
- East Scotian Slope - eastern half
- East Scotian Slope - western half
- Georges Bank - northern half
- Georges Bank - southern half
- Grand Manan
- Gulf - Magdalen
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Halifax Harbour and Approaches
- LaHave Bank
- Laurentian Fan
- L'Isle-aux-Coudres to Tadoussac
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Pointe à Michel to Pointe-des-Monts
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - northern half
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - southern half
- Sable - eastern half
- Sable - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Shore
- Southwest Coast - Ramea and east
- Southwest Coast - west of Ramea
- South Coast - Cape St. Mary's and east
- South Coast - west of Cape St. Mary's
- Tadoussac to Pointe à Michel
- West Scotian Slope - northern half
- West Scotian Slope - southern half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: