Issued 03:30 PM AST 01 March 2017
Tonight and Thursday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind south 20 knots veering to southwest 25 this evening then increasing to southwest 35 near noon Thursday.
Periods of rain and fog patches. Risk of thunderstorms tonight changing to a few flurries or a few showers Thursday evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 1 March 2017 Today Tonight and Thursday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Nova Scotia near 4650N 6020W to 4700N 5945W
to 4820N 6150W to 4840N 5955W to 4955N 5810W to 4835N 5925W to
Newfoundland near 4755N 5925W. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Warnings (In effect)
Grand MananIssued 3:30 PM AST 01 March 2017
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:30 PM AST 1 March 2017 Tonight and Thursday At 3:30 p.m. AST today low 991 mb located near the Great Lakes.
By 3:30 p.m. AST Thursday low 979 mb located over the Gulf of
At 3:30 p.m. AST today trough located on a line northeast-southwest
over the Gaspe Peninsula.
By 8:00 p.m. AST tonight quasi-stationary trough located on a line
northeast-southwest over New Brunswick.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:18 PM AST 1 March 2017 An intensifying low pressure system currently near the great
Lakes will track northeastward to lie over the Gulf of St. Lawrence
by Thursday afternoon. Strong to gale force south to southwest winds
will ahead and south of the low will become strong to gale force
northeasterlies north of it.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except Northumberland Strait, Gulf Magdalen, Chaleur-Miscou
and Anticosti-northwestern half.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for Gulf Magdalen-northwestern half and Anticosti.
Atlantic - Maritimes Area
- Anticosti - northwestern half
- Anticosti - southeastern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Browns Bank
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Scotian Slope
- Georges Bank
- Grand Manan
- Gulf - Magdalen - northwestern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southeastern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Halifax Harbour and Approaches
- LaHave Bank
- Laurentian Fan
- L'Isle-aux-Coudres to Tadoussac
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Pointe à Michel to Pointe-des-Monts
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - northern half
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - southern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Shore
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- Tadoussac to Pointe à Michel
- West Scotian Slope
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: