Issued 03:30 PM NST 18 December 2014
Tonight and Friday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 20 knots increasing to southeast 30 early this evening then diminishing to south 20 late overnight. Wind increasing to southwest 35 early Friday morning with gusts to 45 along the coast Friday morning. Wind diminishing to southwest 25 Friday evening.
Rain and fog patches beginning late this afternoon changing to a few showers Friday morning.
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 18 December 2014 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from northern peninsula near 5020N 5625W to 5025N 5555W to 5140N 5520W to 5140N 5550W to 5120N 5650W to northern peninsula near 5100N 5705W. Sea ice south of the ice edge. Second ice edge estimated from Labrador near 5215N 5540W to 5310N 5430W to 5635N 6005W to 5810N 6115W to 5825N 6100W then northeastward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 18 December 2014
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 19 Dec estimated from the Labrador coast near 5330N 5605W to 5330N 5230W to 5600N 5230W to 6000N 5600W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
East CoastIssued 3:30 PM NST 18 December 2014
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:30 PM NST 18 December 2014 Tonight and Friday At 3:30 p.m. NST today low 992 mb located near Prince Edward Island.
By 3:30 p.m. NST Friday low 989 mb located over Belle Isle Bank.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:14 PM NST 18 December 2014 A low pressure system near Prince Edward Island will track
northeastward across Eastern Newfoundland on Friday morning. Strong
to gale force southeasterlies ahead of this system will shift to
strong to gale force southwesterlies south of the low and to strong
to gale force northerlies in its wake.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except the Northeast Gulf, Gulf-Port au Port, the Northern
Grand Banks, and the Southeastern Grand Banks.
Atlantic - Maritimes Area
- Anticosti - northern half
- Anticosti - southern half
- Banquereau - eastern half
- Banquereau - western half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Browns Bank
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast
- East Scotian Slope
- Georges Bank
- Grand Manan
- Gulf - Magdalen - northern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Halifax Harbour and Approaches
- LaHave Bank
- Laurentian Fan - eastern half
- Laurentian Fan - western half
- L'Isle-aux-Coudres to Tadoussac
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Pointe à Michel to Pointe-des-Monts
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - northern half
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - southern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Shore
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- Tadoussac to Pointe à Michel
- West Scotian Slope
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: