Strait of Belle Isle - western half
Issued 03:30 PM NDT 24 March 2017
Tonight and Saturday
Wind west 15 knots increasing to southwest 25 this evening with gusts to 35 along the Newfoundland coast overnight. Wind becoming northwest 25 near noon Saturday.
Flurries beginning after midnight. Visibility 1 mile or less in flurries.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water freezing spray beginning near noon Saturday.
Temperatures minus 12 to minus 6 rising to minus 1 overnight then falling to minus 16 to minus 8 Saturday evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 24 March 2017 Today Tonight and Saturday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4805N 5255W to 4715N 4735W
to 4745N 4615W to 5500N 5200W to 5545N 5500W to 5800N 5700W then
northward. Sea ice north and west of the ice edge.
9 plus tenths of first-year ice.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 24 March 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 24 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4700N 5304W to 4515N 4800W to 4515N 4600W to 4715N 4200W to 4945N
4200W to 5130N 4630W to 5300N 5000W to 5600N 5200W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 24 Mar estimated from Quebec near
5015N 5958W to Newfoundland near 4922N 5814W.
Iceberg Count26 to 50 icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Belle Isle - western halfIssued 3:30 PM NDT 24 March 2017
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:30 PM NDT 24 March 2017 Tonight and Saturday At 3:30 p.m. NDT today departing low 974 mb located southeast
At 3:30 p.m. NDT today ridge located over the West Coast of
By 3:30 p.m. NDT Saturday ridge located east of the Grand Banks.
At 3:00 a.m. NDT Saturday approaching trough located over the
St. Lawrence River.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:33 PM NDT 24 March 2017 Strong to gale force northwesterlies over extreme northeastern waters
associated with a departing low southeast of Greenland will diminish
by this evening.
Marine interests are advised that a gale warning is in effect for the
Belle Isle Bank - eastern half.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all waters except the Grand Banks.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Banquereau - northwestern half
- Banquereau - southeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - eastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - western half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen - eastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - western half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: