Strait of Belle Isle - western half
Issued 03:00 AM NDT 02 April 2015
Today Tonight and Friday
Wind variable 10 to 15 knots increasing to northwest 20 late this afternoon then backing to southwest 15 Friday morning. Wind backing to southeast 10 to 15 Friday evening.
Flurries ending this evening. Periods of snow beginning Friday evening. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water freezing spray overnight.
High today minus 2. Low tonight minus 10. High Friday minus 5.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 1 April 2015 Today Tonight and Thursday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Avalon Peninsula near 4745N 5240W to 4705N
4525W to 4855N 4450W to 4935N 4650W to 5550N 5235W to 5630N 5555W to
5800N 5730W then northward. Sea ice north and west of the ice edge.
Ice CoverageSpecial ice warning in effect.
9 tenths of first-year ice. Difficult Ice conditions.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 1 April 2015
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 1 Apr estimated from Newfoundland near
4636N 5334W to 4430N 4815W to 4430N 4715W to 4700N 4130W to 4930N
4200W to 6000N 5639W.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 1 Apr estimated from Quebec near
5115N 5819W to Newfoundland near 5028N 5728W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs except 10 to 25 icebergs east of the western
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Belle IsleIssued 03:00 AM NDT 02 April 2015
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Strait of Belle Isle - western halfIssued 10:00 AM EDT 01 April 2015
Navigators in this marine area should be on the lookout for hazardous ice conditions and take necessary safety precautions. Please refer to the latest ice forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:00 AM NDT 2 April 2015 Today Tonight and Friday At 3:00 a.m. NDT today low 984 mb located northeast of the Avalon
By 8:00 p.m. NDT tonight departing low 982 mb located northeast
of Belle Isle Bank.
At 10:00 a.m. NDT today ridge located over Quebec.
By 10:00 a.m. NDT Friday ridge located on a line northwest-southeast
over western Newfoundland.
At 3:30 p.m. NDT Friday approaching trough located from the Gaspe
Peninsula to Cape Breton Island.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 2:52 AM NDT 2 April 2015 A low pressure system northeast of the Avalon Peninsula will move to
lie northeast of Belle Isle Bank this afternoon. Strong to gale force
southeasterlies ahead of the low will switch to strong to gale force
west to southwesterlies in its wake. Winds will gradually diminish
tonight as the low moves away from the marine district.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for the
Southwest Coast, South Coast, East Coast, Funk Island Bank, and the
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Strait of Belle Isle, Northeast Gulf, Gulf - Port au
Port, Southwest Coast, Northeast Coast, and Funk Island Bank.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - eastern half
- Anticosti - western half
- Banquereau - eastern half
- Banquereau - western half
- Belle Isle Bank - northeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - southwestern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore - eastern half
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen - northwestern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southeastern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan - northwestern half
- Laurentian Fan - southeastern half
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks - northern half
- Northern Grand Banks - southern half
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Sable - eastern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - northern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - southern half
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast - Ramea and east
- Southwest Coast - west of Ramea
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: