Strait of Belle Isle - western half
Issued 03:00 AM NST 04 March 2015
Today Tonight and Thursday
Wind southwest 15 to 20 knots backing to southeast 15 to 20 this evening then veering to southwest 15 after midnight. Wind veering to west 20 Thursday afternoon.
Periods of snow beginning this afternoon and ending Thursday morning. Visibility 1 mile or less in snow.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water occasional freezing spray ending after midnight. Freezing spray beginning Thursday afternoon.
Temperatures minus 20 rising to minus 16 to minus 10 this evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 3 March 2015 Today Tonight and Wednesday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4710N 5250W to 4735N 4700W
to 5110N 4805W to 5505N 5215W to 5645N 5600W to 5800N 5715W then
northward. Sea ice north and west of the ice edge.
Ice CoverageIce pressure warning in effect.
9 plus tenths of grey-white ice including 3 tenths of first-year
ice. Strong ice pressure along the Newfoundland coast easing
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 3 March 2015
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 3 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4638N 5308W to 4645N 4615W to 5000N 4600W to 5200N 4645W to 6000N
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 3 Mar estimated from Quebec near
5118N 5831W to Newfoundland near 5033N 5719W.
Iceberg CountLess than 10 icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Belle IsleIssued 03:00 AM NST 04 March 2015
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Strait of Belle Isle - western halfIssued 10:00 AM EST 03 March 2015
Navigators in this marine area should be on the lookout for hazardous ice conditions and take necessary safety precautions. Please refer to the latest ice forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio stations.
Gale warning ended
Strait of Belle Isle - western halfIssued 03:00 AM NST 04 March 2015
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:00 AM NST 4 March 2015 Today Tonight and Thursday At 3:00 a.m. NST today low 952 mb located east of Labrador Sea.
By 10:00 a.m. NST today departing low 955 mb located southeast
At 10:00 a.m. NST today intensifying trough located on a line
northwest-southeast over the Maritimes.
By 3:00 a.m. NST Thursday low 989 mb located over Belle Isle Bank.
At 3:00 a.m. NST today ridge located on a line north-south over
By 3:00 a.m. NST Thursday ridge located northeast of the Marine
Marine Weather StatementIssued 2:53 AM NST 4 March 2015 An intense low pressure system east of the Labrador Sea will continue
to track northeastward to lie southeast of Greenland by this
afternoon. Gale to storm force west to northeasterlies over most
waters will gradually diminish today.
A trough of low pressure will sweep northeastward across the
Maritimes this morning and develop into a low pressure system while
tracking over Newfoundland this evening. This low will then move to
lie over Belle Isle Bank by overnight tonight. Gale to storm force
southerly winds are forecast to develop over most waters ahead of
this feature this afternoon. Winds will then veer to strong to gale
force west to northwesterlies in its wake.
Marine interests are advised that storm warnings are in effect for
Belle Isle Bank and the Grand Banks. Gale warnings are in effect for
all remaining waters except the Strait of Belle Isle and Gulf waters.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all waters except the Southeastern Grand Banks.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northeastern half
- Anticosti - southwestern half
- Belle Isle Bank - northeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - southwestern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen - eastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - western half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks - northern half
- Northern Grand Banks - southern half
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- South Labrador Sea - southeastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: