Strait of Belle Isle - western half
Issued 03:00 AM NDT 28 March 2015
Today Tonight and Sunday
Wind northeast 15 knots diminishing to light near midnight then increasing to southwest 15 Sunday morning. Wind increasing to southwest 25 Sunday afternoon.
A few flurries ending this evening. Visibility as low as 1 mile in flurries.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water freezing spray beginning Sunday afternoon.
Temperatures minus 12 to minus 6.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 27 March 2015 Today Tonight and Saturday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Avalon Peninsula near 4750N 5245W to 4650N
4510W to 4900N 4500W to 5130N 4830W to 5500N 5230W to 5600N 5630W to
5800N 5800W then northward. Sea ice north and west of the ice edge.
Ice CoverageSpecial ice warning in effect.
9 tenths of first-year ice. Ice conditions impeding navigation.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 27 March 2015
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 27 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4636N 5335W to 4445N 4800W to 4445N 4700W to 4700N 4215W to 5015N
4300W to 6000N 5715W.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 27 Mar estimated from Quebec near
5118N 5759W to Newfoundland near 5042N 5724W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs except 10 to 25 icebergs east of the western
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Belle IsleIssued 03:00 AM NDT 28 March 2015
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Strait of Belle Isle - western halfIssued 10:00 AM EDT 27 March 2015
Navigators in this marine area should be on the lookout for hazardous ice conditions and take necessary safety precautions. Please refer to the latest ice forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:00 AM NDT 28 March 2015 Today Tonight and Sunday At 3:00 a.m. NDT today quasi-stationary trough located southeast
of the Avalon Peninsula.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 2:51 AM NDT 28 March 2015 A trough of low pressure will remain nearly stationary just southeast
of the Avalon Peninsula throughout the forecast period. Strong to
gale force southwesterlies will persist southeast of the trough axis
until Sunday evening.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for
East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south, the Northern Grand Banks -
southeastern half and the Southern Grand Banks.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for Strait of Belle Isle, Northeast Gulf, Gulf - Port au Port
and Belle Isle Bank and Funk Island Bank.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Banquereau - northwestern half
- Banquereau - southeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - northern half
- Belle Isle Bank - southern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan - northwestern half
- Laurentian Fan - southeastern half
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northeast Gulf
- Northern Grand Banks - northwestern half
- Northern Grand Banks - southeastern half
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - northern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - southern half
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - southern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: