Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
Issued 03:30 PM NDT 26 March 2015
Tonight and Friday
Wind southwest 15 to 20 knots increasing to southwest 25 early this evening then diminishing to southwest 10 to 15 late overnight. Wind diminishing to light Friday afternoon then becoming northwest 10 to 15 Friday evening.
Periods of snow changing to flurries after midnight. Visibility as low as 1 mile in precipitation.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water freezing spray after midnight.
Temperatures minus 1 falling to minus 6 overnight then rising to minus 1 near noon Friday.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 26 March 2015 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Avalon Peninsula near 4750N 5245W to 4650N
4510W to 4900N 4500W to 4930N 4730W to 5500N 5230W to 5600N 5630W to
5800N 5800W then northward. Sea ice north and west of the ice edge.
8 tenths of first-year ice.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 26 March 2015
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 26 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4636N 5335W to 4445N 4800W to 4445N 4700W to 4715N 4230W to 5000N
4300W to 6000N 5800W.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 26 Mar estimated from Quebec near
5118N 5759W to Newfoundland near 5042N 5724W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs except 10 to 25 icebergs east of the western
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Belle IsleIssued 3:30 PM NDT 26 March 2015
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:30 PM NDT 26 March 2015 Tonight and Friday At 3:30 p.m. NDT today ridge located on a line northeast-southwest
over the southeastern Grand Banks.
By 8:00 p.m. NDT tonight quasi-stationary ridge located southeast
of the Grand Banks.
At 3:30 p.m. NDT today low 996 mb located over western Labrador.
By 3:30 p.m. NDT Friday low 990 mb located northeast of Belle
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:20 PM NDT 26 March 2015 A ridge of high pressure over the Grand Banks will move southeast of
the marine district tonight and will remain quasi-stationary for the
remainder of the forecast period. Meanwhile, a low pressure system
over Western Labrador will track eastward to lie northeast of the
Belle Isle Bank by Friday afternoon. Strong to gale force south to
southwesterlies will spread eastward across southern waters tonight
between these features.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for
Northeast Gulf, Gulf - Port au Port, Southwest Coast, South Coast,
East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south and the Grand Banks.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for Strait of Belle Isle, Belle Isle Bank and Funk Island
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Banquereau - northern half
- Banquereau - southern half
- Belle Isle Bank - northeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - southwestern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northeast Gulf
- Northern Grand Banks - northern half
- Northern Grand Banks - southern half
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - northern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - southern half
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - southern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: