South Labrador Sea
Issued 09:30 PM NST 18 December 2014
Tonight and Friday
Wind west 15 knots increasing to north 20 to 25 early Friday morning and to north 30 near noon Friday.
A few flurries beginning late overnight. Visibility 1 mile or less in flurries.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Freezing spray over northwestern sections Friday.
Temperatures minus 5 to plus 1.
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 18 December 2014 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from northern peninsula near 5020N 5625W to 5025N 5555W to 5140N 5520W to 5140N 5550W to 5120N 5650W to northern peninsula near 5100N 5705W. Sea ice south of the ice edge. Second ice edge estimated from Labrador near 5215N 5540W to 5310N 5430W to 5635N 6005W to 5810N 6115W to 5825N 6100W then northeastward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 18 December 2014
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 19 Dec estimated from the Labrador coast near 5330N 5605W to 5330N 5230W to 5600N 5230W to 6000N 5600W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs except less than 10 icebergs west of the iceberg limit.
Warnings (In effect)
South Labrador SeaIssued 9:30 PM NST 18 December 2014
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM NST 18 December 2014 Tonight and Friday At 9:30 p.m. NST tonight low located west of Greenland.
By 4:00 a.m. NST Friday departing low located east of Greenland.
At 9:30 p.m. NST tonight low 992 mb located near Prince Edward
By 9:30 p.m. NST Friday low 990 mb located east of Belle Isle Bank.
At 9:30 p.m. NST tonight weakening ridge located on a line east-west
over the South Labrador Coast.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:22 PM NST 18 December 2014 A low pressure system near Prince Edward Island will track
northeastward across Newfoundland on Friday morning. Strong to gale
force northerlies will develop over southernmost waters ahead of this
system late in the day on Friday.
Marine interests are advised that a gale warning is in effect for the
South Labrador Coast.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale, North Labrador
Coast and the Labrador Sea.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northern half
- Anticosti - southern half
- Banquereau - eastern half
- Banquereau - western half
- Belle Isle Bank
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast
- Funk Island Bank
- Gulf - Magdalen - northern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan - eastern half
- Laurentian Fan - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast - Ramea and east
- Southwest Coast - west of Ramea
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: