South Labrador Coast
Issued 09:30 PM NDT 23 March 2017
Tonight and Friday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 35 to 45 knots diminishing to west 25 near noon Friday and to west 15 to 20 Friday afternoon. Wind backing to southwest 25 Friday evening.
Risk of freezing spray.
Temperatures minus 18 to minus 10.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 23 March 2017 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4805N 5255W to 4715N 4735W
to 4745N 4615W to 5145N 5010W to 5210N 5140W to 5500N 5240W to 5650N
5650W to 5800N 5700W then northward. Sea ice north and west of the
9 plus tenths of first-year ice including a trace of old ice.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 23 March 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 23 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4700N 5304W to 4515N 4800W to 4515N 4600W to 4715N 4200W to 4915N
4200W to 5230N 4600W to 5300N 5000W to 5600N 5200W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 23 Mar estimated from Newfoundland
near 4925N 5802W to Quebec near 5032N 5954W.
Iceberg CountMore than 100 icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
South Labrador CoastIssued 9:30 PM NDT 23 March 2017
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM NDT 23 March 2017 Tonight and Friday At 9:30 p.m. NDT tonight low 986 mb located over eastern Belle
By 9:30 a.m. NDT Friday departing low 979 mb located northeast of
Belle Isle Bank.
At 9:30 p.m. NDT tonight ridge located over Quebec.
By 4:00 p.m. NDT Friday ridge located over Labrador Sea.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:24 PM NDT 23 March 2017 A low pressure system over the Belle Isle Bank will pass southeast of
the marine district tonight and into Friday. Strong to gale force
northwesterlies can be expected over most waters as the low passes.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for the
South Labrador Coast, Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south, South
Labrador Sea, and East Labrador Sea.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Labrador Sea.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Banquereau - northwestern half
- Banquereau - southeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - eastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - western half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore - eastern half
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen - eastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - western half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Sable - eastern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: