Issued 03:30 PM NDT 27 March 2017
Tonight and Tuesday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 35 knots diminishing to northwest 25 after midnight and to northwest 15 to 20 Tuesday afternoon.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Freezing spray ending after midnight.
Temperatures minus 7 to minus 4 rising to zero Tuesday afternoon.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 27 March 2017 Today Tonight and Tuesday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4805N 5255W to 4720N 4825W
to 4730N 4650W to 5210N 5100W to 5450N 5155W to 5600N 5450W to 5800N
5630W then northward. Sea ice north and west of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 27 March 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 27 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4715N 5300W to 4700N 4800W to 4800N 4430W to 5000N 4330W to 5145N
4600W to 5300N 5000W to 5600N 5200W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 27 Mar estimated from Newfoundland
near 4907N 5824W to Quebec near 5015N 6018W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
South CoastIssued 3:30 PM NDT 27 March 2017
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
South CoastIssued 3:30 PM NDT 27 March 2017
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 8:00 PM NDT 27 March 2017 Tonight and Tuesday At 8:00 p.m. NDT tonight low 964 mb located east of the Flemish Cap.
By 3:30 p.m. NDT Tuesday departing low located east of the Marine
At 8:00 p.m. NDT tonight ridge located on a line north-south over
the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
By 8:00 p.m. NDT Tuesday ridge located on a line northwest-southeast
over western Newfoundland.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:14 PM NDT 27 March 2017 An intense low pressure system east of the Flemish Cap will remain
nearly stationary tonight and then begin to move slowly eastward on
Tuesday. Gale to storm force northwesterlies are expected over most
waters tonight while hurricane force northwesterlies are expected
over the Northern Grand Banks. Winds will begin to slowly subside on
Tuesday as the storm weakens and drifts eastward.
Marine interests are advised that a hurricane force wind warning is
in effect for Northern Grand Banks. Storm warnings are in effect for
Funk Island Bank and Southeastern Grand Banks. Gale warnings are in
effect for all other waters except Strait of Belle Isle - western
half, Gulf waters and Southwest Coast - western half.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all waters except the Southwest Coast.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northeastern half
- Anticosti - southwestern half
- Banquereau - northeastern half
- Banquereau - southwestern half
- Belle Isle Bank - eastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - western half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore - eastern half
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen - northeastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan - northeastern half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Sable - eastern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast - Ramea and east
- Southwest Coast - west of Ramea
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: