Issued 03:30 PM NDT 28 April 2016
Tonight and Friday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southwest 10 to 15 knots increasing to west 30 this evening and to west 35 near midnight. Wind diminishing to west 25 Friday morning then backing to southwest 25 Friday afternoon with gusts to 35 along the coast.
Showers and flurries changing to a few flurries this evening and ending Friday morning.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 28 April 2016 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland 4840N 5300W to 4920N 5140W to
5140N 4950W to 5520N 5215W to 5605N 5520W to 5800N 5730W then
northward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 28 April 2016
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 28 Apr estimated from Newfoundland near
4644N 5305W to 4400N 4945W to 4400N 4745W to 4515N 4245W to 4700N
4130W to 4845N 4215W to 5000N 4315W to 5300N 4730W to 5600N 4900W
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 28 Apr estimated from Quebec near
5119N 5759W to Newfoundland near 5042N 5723W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
South CoastIssued 3:30 PM NDT 28 April 2016
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:30 PM NDT 28 April 2016 Tonight and Friday At 3:30 p.m. NDT today low 998 mb located over northern Belle
By 3:00 a.m. NDT Friday merging low 979 mb located northeast of
Belle Isle Bank.
At 3:30 p.m. NDT today low 1007 mb located over Funk Island Bank.
By 3:30 p.m. NDT Friday low 977 mb located over southwestern
At 3:30 p.m. NDT today trough located over Newfoundland.
By 3:00 a.m. NDT Friday dissipating trough located over Funk
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:31 PM NDT 28 April 2016 A broad and complex area of low pressure lying over Newfoundland and
the Funk Island Bank will track northeastwards away from the marine
district tonight. Over southern waters, strong to gale force
southerlies ahead of this feature will veer to strong to gale force
westerlies in its wake.
This area of low pressure will merge with a low pressure system
northeast of Belle Isle Bank overnight tonight. The resulting low
will intensify as it moves southwestward towards the marine district
on Friday. Strong to gale force west to southwesterlies will develop
over most waters tonight or Friday as this system approaches.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except the East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis, Funk Island
Bank - southern half, Northern Grand Banks - northwestern half, and
the Southwestern Grand Banks - northwestern half.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Strait of Belle Isle and Belle Isle Bank.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northeastern half
- Anticosti - southwestern half
- Belle Isle Bank - eastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - western half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - northern half
- Funk Island Bank - southern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - northeastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf
- Northern Grand Banks - northwestern half
- Northern Grand Banks - southeastern half
- Northumberland Strait
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks - northwestern half
- Southwestern Grand Banks - southeastern half
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: