Issued 10:00 AM NST 04 March 2015
Today Tonight and Thursday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southwest 25 knots increasing to south 45 this afternoon then veering to west 35 this evening. Wind diminishing to west 20 late overnight then increasing to west 35 Thursday afternoon.
A few flurries changing to snow or rain this afternoon and ending near midnight. Flurries beginning Thursday morning. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Freezing spray beginning Thursday evening.
Temperatures minus 10 to minus 5 rising to plus 1 this evening then falling to minus 6 Thursday evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 4 March 2015 Today Tonight and Thursday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4710N 5250W to 4735N 4700W
to 5110N 4805W to 5505N 5215W to 5645N 5600W to 5800N 5700W then
northward. Sea ice north and west of the ice edge.
Ice free except 2 tenths of grey ice in a few small bays.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 4 March 2015
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 4 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4638N 5308W to 4715N 4700W to 5000N 4600W to 5100N 4600W to 5200N
4645W to 6000N 5730W.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 4 Mar estimated from Quebec near
5118N 5831W to Newfoundland near 5033N 5719W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
South CoastIssued 10:00 AM NST 04 March 2015
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
South CoastIssued 10:00 AM NST 04 March 2015
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:00 AM NST 4 March 2015 Today Tonight and Thursday At 10:00 a.m. NST today departing low 956 mb located south of
At 10:00 a.m. NST today intensifying trough located on a line
northwest-southeast over the Maritimes.
By 3:00 a.m. NST Thursday low 982 mb located over Belle Isle Bank.
At 10:00 a.m. NST today ridge located from the Grand Banks to
By 3:00 a.m. NST Thursday departing ridge located northeast of
the Marine District.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:59 AM NST 4 March 2015 An intense low pressure system south of Greenland will continue to
track away from the marine district today. Strong to gale force
westerlies over northeastern waters will gradually diminish today.
A trough of low pressure over the Maritimes will sweep northeastward
today and develop into a low pressure system while tracking over
Newfoundland this evening. This low will then move to lie over Belle
Isle Bank by overnight tonight. Gale to storm force southerly winds
are forecast to develop over most waters ahead of this feature this
afternoon. Winds will then veer to strong to gale force west to
northwesterlies in its wake.
Marine interests are advised that storm warnings are in effect for
the Grand Banks. Gale warnings are in effect for all remaining waters
except the Strait of Belle Isle and the Northeast Gulf.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all waters except the Southern Grand Banks.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northeastern half
- Anticosti - southwestern half
- Belle Isle Bank - northeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - southwestern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen - eastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - western half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks - northern half
- Northern Grand Banks - southern half
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - southern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: