Northumberland Strait - western half
Issued 03:00 AM ADT 02 April 2015
Today Tonight and Friday
Wind northwesterly 20 knots backing to west 15 early this afternoon with gusts to 20 over open water. Wind diminishing to light this evening then increasing to southeast 15 overnight. Wind increasing to southeast 25 Friday morning then diminishing to southwest 15 near noon Friday.
Snow beginning overnight changing to rain Friday morning then to chance of showers Friday afternoon and evening. Fog patches forming Friday morning. Visibility 1 mile or less in snow and in fog patches.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water freezing spray ending this afternoon.
Temperatures minus 6 rising to plus 2 Friday evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 1 April 2015 Today Tonight and Thursday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from Nova Scotia near 4515N 6100W to 4445N
6100W to 4430N 5800W to 4600N 5700W to 4730N 5800W to Newfoundland
near 4720N 5520W. Sea ice north and west of the ice edge.
Second ice edge estimated from New Brunswick near 4520N 6530W to
Nova Scotia near 4500N 6505W. Sea ice north of the ice edge.
6 tenths of first-year ice.
Warnings (In effect)
Northumberland Strait - western halfIssued 03:00 AM ADT 02 April 2015
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:00 AM ADT 2 April 2015 Today Tonight and Friday At 3:00 a.m. ADT today departing low 988 mb located near the
At 9:00 p.m. ADT tonight trough located over the Gulf of Maine.
By 3:00 p.m. ADT Friday trough located from the Gaspe Peninsula
to Laurentian Fan.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 2:51 AM ADT 2 April 2015 A low pressure system near the Avalon Peninsula at forecast time will
continue to move away from the district today. Strong to gale force
northwesterlies are expected in its wake. A trough of low pressure
will approach the marine district later today and track across the
district tonight and Friday. Strong southeasterlies ahead of this
trough shift to strong to gale force southwesterlies in its wake.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for
Georges Bank..West Scotian Slope and Banquereau. Freezing spray
warnings are in effect for Cabot Strait and all Gulf of St. Lawrence
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - eastern half
- Anticosti - western half
- Banquereau - eastern half
- Banquereau - western half
- Belle Isle Bank - northeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - southwestern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore - eastern half
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen - northwestern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southeastern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan - northwestern half
- Laurentian Fan - southeastern half
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks - northern half
- Northern Grand Banks - southern half
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Sable - eastern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - northern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - southern half
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast - Ramea and east
- Southwest Coast - west of Ramea
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: