Issued 10:00 AM AST 03 March 2015
Today Tonight and Wednesday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 35 to 40 knots diminishing to northwest 20 early this evening then backing to westerly 10 to 15 late this evening. Wind becoming southeast 15 late overnight then increasing to southeast 25 to 30 early Wednesday morning. Wind veering to southwest 20 to 25 near noon Wednesday then to west 15 to 20 Wednesday afternoon. Wind increasing to west 20 to 25 Wednesday evening.
Snow beginning late overnight and ending near noon Wednesday. Visibility 1 mile or less in snow.
Temperatures minus 20 rising to minus 4 Wednesday evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 3 March 2015 Today Tonight and Wednesday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from Nova Scotia near 4430N 6605W to 4430N
6620W to 4300N 6610W to 4530N 5630W to 4720N 5710W to Newfoundland
near 4720N 5520W. Sea ice north of the ice edge.
Second ice edge estimated from Nova Scotia near 4505N 6500W to New
Brunswick near 4520N 6530W. Sea ice north of the ice edge.
Ice CoverageIce pressure warning in effect.
9 plus tenths of first-year ice. Strong ice pressure in the pack ice
Warnings (In effect)
Northumberland StraitIssued 10:00 AM AST 03 March 2015
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Northumberland StraitIssued 10:00 AM EST 03 March 2015
Navigators in this marine area should be on the lookout for hazardous ice conditions and take necessary safety precautions. Please refer to the latest ice forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:00 AM AST 3 March 2015 Today Tonight and Wednesday At 10:00 a.m. AST today departing low located northeast of
At 10:00 a.m. AST today ridge located west of the Marine District.
By 8:00 a.m. AST Wednesday ridge located east of the Marine
At 8:00 p.m. AST tonight trough located west of the Marine District.
By 8:00 p.m. AST Wednesday trough located east of the Marine
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:59 AM AST 3 March 2015 An intense low pressue centre continues to draw away from
Gale to storm force northwesterlies diminish to moderate as the low
moves away. A ridge of high pressure will pass through the district
tonight. Generally light to moderate winds in the vicinity of the
ridge become strong to gale force southerly behind it.
Marine interests are advised that storm warnings are in effect for
Cabot Strait. Gale warnings are in effect for all
Freezing spray warnings are in effect for all regions except
Northumberland.. Gulf-Magdalen and Anticosti which are mostly ice
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northeastern half
- Anticosti - southwestern half
- Belle Isle Bank - northeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - southwestern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen - northeastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks - northern half
- Northern Grand Banks - southern half
- Northumberland Strait
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- South Labrador Sea - southeastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: