Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
Issued 09:30 AM NDT 23 March 2017
Today Tonight and Friday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind west 15 knots veering to northwest 15 to 20 near noon then increasing to northwest 30 early this evening. Wind increasing to northwest 35 late this evening then diminishing to southwest 15 to 20 near noon Friday. Wind backing to south 25 Friday evening.
Risk of freezing spray.
Temperatures minus 20 to minus 15.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 23 March 2017 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4805N 5255W to 4715N 4735W
to 4745N 4615W to 5145N 5010W to 5210N 5140W to 5500N 5240W to 5650N
5650W to 5800N 5700W then northward. Sea ice north and west of the
9 plus tenths of first-year ice including a trace of old ice.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 22 March 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 22 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4700N 5305W to 4515N 4700W to 4715N 4200W to 4900N 4215W to 5200N
4545W to 5300N 5000W to 5600N 5200W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 22 Mar estimated from Newfoundland
near 4925N 5802W to Quebec near 5032N 5954W.
Iceberg CountMore than 100 icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and southIssued 09:30 AM NDT 23 March 2017
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 AM NDT 23 March 2017 Today Tonight and Friday At 9:30 a.m. NDT today low 987 mb located over eastern Newfoundland.
By 4:00 a.m. NDT Friday low 975 mb located east of Belle Isle Bank.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:19 AM NDT 23 March 2017 A low pressure system over Eastern Newfoundland will approach the
district from the south today. Strong to gale force northwesterlies
will develop over most waters ahead of the low this afternoon.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for the
South Labrador Coast, Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south, South
Labrador Sea, and East Labrador Sea.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Labrador Sea.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - eastern half
- Anticosti - western half
- Banquereau - northwestern half
- Banquereau - southeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - eastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - western half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore - eastern half
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen - eastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - western half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Sable - eastern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: