Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
Issued 04:00 PM NST 17 December 2014
Tonight and Thursday
Wind light becoming southwest 15 knots near midnight.
Temperatures near minus 6.
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 17 December 2014 Today Tonight and Thursday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from northern peninsula near 5020N 5625W to 5025N 5555W to 5140N 5520W to 5140N 5550W to 5120N 5650W to northern peninsula near 5100N 5705W. Sea ice south of the ice edge. Second ice edge estimated from Labrador near 5215N 5540W to 5310N 5430W to 5635N 6015W to 5850N 6120W then northeastward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Bergy water except 9 tenths of grey ice including 1 tenth of grey-white ice along the coast.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 17 December 2014
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 18 Dec estimated from the Labrador coast near 5330N 5605W to 5345N 5245W to 5600N 5245W to 6000N 5600W.
Iceberg CountLess than 10 icebergs.
No watches or warnings in effect.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM NST 17 December 2014 Tonight and Thursday At 4:00 p.m. NST today ridge located over Labrador Coast.
By 4:00 a.m. NST Thursday quasi-stationary ridge located on a line
east-west over the South Labrador Coast.
At 4:00 p.m. NST today low located over Baffin Island.
By 4:00 p.m. NST Thursday low located west of Greenland.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:45 PM NST 17 December 2014 A ridge of high pressure over Labrador will gradually weaken and move
south tonight and Thursday. Meanwhile a low pressure system will
track eastward north of the marine district. Between these two
features, strong to gale force northwesterlies will persist over the
Labrador Sea throughout the forecast period.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for the
North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek, Northwest Labrador Sea -
northern half and East Labrador Sea - northern half.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale, North Labrador
Coast, Northwest Labrador Sea and the East Labrador Sea - northern
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northern half
- Anticosti - southern half
- Banquereau - eastern half
- Banquereau - western half
- Belle Isle Bank
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank
- Gulf - Magdalen - northern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan - eastern half
- Laurentian Fan - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: