Issued 04:00 PM NST 24 January 2017
Tonight and Wednesday
Wind west 10 to 15 knots diminishing to light this evening then becoming northeast 15 Wednesday evening.
Low tonight minus 18. High Wednesday minus 12.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 24 January 2017 Today Tonight and Wednesday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4810N 5255W to 5055N 5145W
to 5135N 5005W to 5520N 5150W to 5615N 5605W to 5800N 5700W then
northward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Consolidated first-year ice.
No watches or warnings in effect.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM NST 24 January 2017 Tonight and Wednesday At 4:00 p.m. NST today quasi-stationary low 956 mb located southeast
At 4:00 p.m. NST today ridge located over western Labrador.
By 4:00 p.m. NST Wednesday ridge located from the North Labrador
Coast to Lake Melville.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:52 PM NST 24 January 2017 An intense low pressure system southeast of Greenland will remain
nearly stationary today and tonight, drifting away on Wednesday.
Meanwhile a ridge of high pressure over Western Labrador will begin
to drift slowly eastward. Gale to storm force northwesterlies over
most waters will gradually diminish overnight tonight and Wednesday
as the ridge moves out into the Labrador Sea.
Marine interests are advised that storm warnings are in effect for
the Labrador Sea. Gale warnings are in effect for the South Labrador
Coast, Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south and the North Labrador
Coast - north of Saglek.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Labrador Sea.
Due to extensive ice coverage, freezing spray warnings will be
suspended for Labrador coastal waters until the ice begins to
retreat. In the meantime, there is still a risk that freezing spray
may be encountered in any leads or small openings.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Belle Isle Bank - northeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - southwestern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore - eastern half
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank
- Gulf - Magdalen
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northeast Gulf
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Sable - eastern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: