Issued 09:30 PM NST 23 January 2017
Tonight and Tuesday
Wind southwest 20 knots diminishing to southwest 10 to 15 Tuesday morning.
Low tonight minus 18. Temperatures near minus 18 Tuesday.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 23 January 2017 Today Tonight and Tuesday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4810N 5255W to 5055N 5145W
to 5135N 5005W to 5520N 5150W to 5615N 5605W to 5800N 5700W then
northward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Consolidated first-year ice.
No watches or warnings in effect.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM NST 23 January 2017 Tonight and Tuesday At 9:30 p.m. NST tonight quasi-stationary low 962 mb located
southeast of Greenland.
At 9:30 p.m. NST tonight quasi-stationary ridge located over
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:19 PM NST 23 January 2017 An intense low pressure system southeast of Greenland will remain
nearly stationary throughout the forecast period as a ridge of high
pressure does the same over Western Labrador. Strong to gale force
northwesterlies will persist between these features tonight.
On Tuesday the low will deepen further and cause storm force winds to
develop over the East Labrador Sea.
Marine interests are advised that a storm warning is in effect for
the East Labrador Sea. Gale warnings are in effect for all remaining
waters except Lake Melville.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Labrador Sea.
Due to extensive ice coverage, freezing spray warnings will be
suspended for Labrador coastal waters until the ice begins to
retreat. In the meantime, there is still a risk that freezing spray
may be encountered in any leads or small openings.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Belle Isle Bank - northeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - southwestern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank
- Gulf - Magdalen
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northeast Gulf
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: