Gulf - Magdalen - southeastern half
Issued 10:00 AM AST 01 March 2017
Today Tonight and Thursday
Wind south 30 knots with gusts to 45 from Margaree Harbour to Bay St. Lawrence. Wind diminishing to south 25 this evening and to southwest 10 to 15 late overnight. Wind diminishing to light early Thursday morning then increasing to easterly 20 near noon Thursday. Wind veering to southerly 20 to 25 Thursday afternoon then to west 25 to 30 Thursday evening.
Periods of snow or freezing rain changing to periods of rain near noon then to periods of rain or periods of freezing rain late overnight. Periods of rain near noon Thursday changing to periods of snow Thursday evening. Fog patches forming this afternoon and dissipating Thursday evening. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation and in fog patches.
High today plus 3. Low tonight minus 2. High Thursday plus 4.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 1 March 2017 Today Tonight and Thursday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Nova Scotia near 4650N 6020W to 4700N 5945W
to 4820N 6150W to 4840N 5955W to 4955N 5810W to 4835N 5925W to
Newfoundland near 4755N 5925W. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Open water except 5 tenths of grey-white ice including 1 tenth of
first-year ice in the extreme southern and western section.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 1 March 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 1 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4645N 5307W to 4515N 4715W to 4515N 4545W to 4700N 4515W to 5030N
4530W to 5300N 4915W to 5600N 5200W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 1 Mar estimated from Newfoundland
near 4945N 5750W to Quebec near 5042N 5925W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
No watches or warnings in effect.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:00 AM AST 1 March 2017 Today Tonight and Thursday At 10:00 a.m. AST today low 996 mb located east of the Great Lakes.
By 3:30 p.m. AST Thursday low 979 mb located over the Gulf of
At 10:00 a.m. AST today trough located on a line northeast-southwest
over the St. Lawrence River.
By 8:00 p.m. AST tonight quasi-stationary trough located on a line
northeast-southwest over New Brunswick.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:54 AM AST 1 March 2017 An intensifying low pressure system currently east of the great
Lakes will track northeastward to lie over the Gulf of St. Lawrence
by Thursday afternoon. Strong to gale force south to southwest winds
will develop ahead and south of the low and then become strong to
gale force northeasterlies north of it.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except Northumberland Strait, Gulf Magdalen, Chaleur-Miscou
and Anticosti-northwestern half.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for Gulf Magdalen-northwestern half and Anticosti.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northwestern half
- Anticosti - southeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - eastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - western half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - northern half
- Funk Island Bank - southern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - northwestern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southeastern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- South Labrador Sea - southeastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: