East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
Issued 10:00 AM NST 24 January 2017
Today Tonight and Wednesday
Wind west 15 knots diminishing to light this evening then increasing to northeast 15 Wednesday morning. Wind increasing to east 25 Wednesday evening.
Temperatures minus 7 to minus 4 rising to zero Wednesday evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 24 January 2017 Today Tonight and Wednesday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4810N 5255W to 5055N 5145W
to 5135N 5005W to 5520N 5150W to 5615N 5605W to 5800N 5700W then
northward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Open water except 3 tenths of new ice along the coast in the
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 24 January 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 25 Jan estimated from Newfoundland near
5030N 5615W to 4900N 5100W to 4900N 4830W to 5200N 4830W to 5300N
4930W to 5700N 5300W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 25 Jan estimated from Quebec near
5125N 5734W to Newfoundland near 5100N 5659W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
No watches or warnings in effect.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:00 AM NST 24 January 2017 Today Tonight and Wednesday At 10:00 a.m. NST today quasi-stationary low 958 mb located
southeast of Greenland.
At 10:00 a.m. NST today ridge located from Quebec to Newfoundland.
By 10:00 a.m. NST Wednesday ridge located from Labrador to the
By 3:00 a.m. NST Wednesday approaching low 988 mb located southwest
of Nova Scotia.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:49 AM NST 24 January 2017 An intense low pressure system will remain southeast of Greenland
while a ridge of high pressure slowly crosses the district. Strong to
gale force northwesterlies will persist over northeasternmost waters
through most of the forecast period between these features.
A second low pressure system will approach from the southwest on
Wednesday. Strong to gale force southeast to northeasterly winds will
develop over western waters on Wednesday ahead of this low.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for
Gulf waters, Southwest Coast, South Coast, Belle Isle Bank, Funk
Island Bank, and the Southwestern Grand Banks.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all waters except Southwest Coast, South Coast, East Coast
- Cape St. Francis and south, and the Grand Banks.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Belle Isle Bank - northeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - southwestern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank
- Gulf - Magdalen
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northeast Gulf
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: