East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
Issued 10:00 AM NDT 30 March 2017
Today Tonight and Friday
Storm warning in effect.
Wind east 15 to 20 knots backing to northeast 25 this afternoon then increasing to northeast 35 to 45 late overnight. Wind increasing to northeast 45 to 55 Friday morning.
A few flurries changing to snow near noon then to rain or freezing rain near midnight. Snow Friday afternoon. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation.
Temperatures near minus 1.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 30 March 2017 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4635N 5305W to 4630N 4850W
to 4545N 4800W to 4630N 4545W to 5030N 5040W to 5400N 5145W to 5635N
5640W to 5800N 5800W then northward. Sea ice north and west of the
6 tenths of first-year ice including a trace of old ice.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 30 March 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 30 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4726N 5300W to 4445N 4900W to 4445N 4600W to 4700N 4330W to 5000N
4330W to 5145N 4530W to 5300N 5000W to 5600N 5200W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 30 Mar estimated from Newfoundland
near 4918N 5808W to Quebec near 5023N 6006W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs except 26 to 50 icebergs north of the iceberg
Warnings (In effect)
East Coast - north of Cape St. FrancisIssued 10:00 AM NDT 30 March 2017
'Storm' force winds of 48 to 63 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:00 AM NDT 30 March 2017 Today Tonight and Friday At 10:00 a.m. NDT today deepening low 982 mb located over
By 10:00 a.m. NDT Friday low 960 mb located south of the Grand
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:47 AM NDT 30 March 2017 A low pressure system is forecast to track into the Southern Grand
Banks from the west today then stall as it deepens into a major storm
before moving away on Saturday. Strong to gale force northeasterlies
are expected to develop over all waters ahead of this system today
with gale to storm force northeasterlies over eastern coastal waters
tonight through Friday night.
Marine interests are advised that storm warnings are in effect for
the South Coast and East Coast. Gale warnings are in effect for all
Over the Northeast Coast as well as the East Coast, particularly
north of Cape St. Francis, persistent north to northeasterly winds
could result in extensive ice buildup or pressure, both along the
outer coastline and in the bays. High waves and pounding surf are
also likely along the east facing coastline of the Avalon Peninsula.
Mariners are advised to consider what impacts these events could pose
and closely monitor future forecasts when determining what, if any
precautions might be needed.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - eastern half
- Anticosti - western half
- Banquereau - northeastern half
- Banquereau - southwestern half
- Belle Isle Bank - eastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - western half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen - northeastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan - eastern half
- Laurentian Fan - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks - northern half
- Northern Grand Banks - southern half
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Sable - eastern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: