East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
Issued 08:00 PM NST 03 March 2015
Tonight and Wednesday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 35 to 45 knots diminishing to west 25 late overnight then backing to southwest 15 to 20 near noon Wednesday. Wind increasing to south 45 early Wednesday evening.
A few flurries ending late overnight. Snow or rain beginning Wednesday afternoon.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water freezing spray ending Wednesday morning.
Temperatures minus 12 to minus 4 rising to plus 1 Wednesday evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 3 March 2015 Today Tonight and Wednesday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4710N 5250W to 4735N 4700W
to 5110N 4805W to 5505N 5215W to 5645N 5600W to 5800N 5715W then
northward. Sea ice north and west of the ice edge.
3 tenths of new ice except 8 tenths of grey-white ice including 2
tenths of first-year ice in the extreme northern section.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 3 March 2015
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 3 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4638N 5308W to 4645N 4615W to 5000N 4600W to 5200N 4645W to 6000N
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 3 Mar estimated from Quebec near
5118N 5831W to Newfoundland near 5033N 5719W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs except less than 10 icebergs north of the
Warnings (In effect)
East CoastIssued 8:00 PM NST 03 March 2015
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
East CoastIssued 8:00 PM NST 03 March 2015
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 8:00 PM NST 3 March 2015 Tonight and Wednesday At 8:00 p.m. NST tonight low 952 mb located northeast of Belle
By 10:00 a.m. NST Wednesday departing low 952 mb located southeast
At 8:00 p.m. NST tonight ridge located on a line north-south over
By 8:00 p.m. NST Wednesday ridge located on a line
northwest-southeast over Belle Isle Bank.
At 10:00 a.m. NST Wednesday intensifying trough located on a line
northwest-southeast over the Maritimes.
By 8:00 p.m. NST Wednesday trough located on a line
northwest-southeast over Newfoundland.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 7:58 PM NST 3 March 2015 An intense low pressure system just northeast of Belle Isle Bank will
continue to track northeastward to lie southeast of Greenland by
Wednesday afternoon. Gale to storm force westerlies to
northwesterlies will gradually diminish tonight and Wednesday
A trough of low pressure is forecast to sweep eastward across the
Maritimes on Wednesday to lie over Newfoundland by Wednesday evening.
Gale to storm force southerly winds are forecast to develop over
southern waters ahead of this trough beginning Wednesday afternoon.
Marine interests are advised that storm warnings are in effect for
Belle Isle Bank, Funk Island Bank and the Northern Grand Banks.
Gale warnings are in effect for all remaining waters except Northeast
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all waters except the Southeastern Grand Banks.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northeastern half
- Anticosti - southwestern half
- Belle Isle Bank - northeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - southwestern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen - northeastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks - northern half
- Northern Grand Banks - southern half
- Northumberland Strait
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- South Labrador Sea - southeastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: