Strait of Belle Isle
Issued 08:00 PM NST 11 February 2016
Tonight and Friday
Wind southwest 15 to 20 knots with gusts to 25 along the Newfoundland coast late this evening. Wind becoming southwest 25 Friday evening.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water occasional freezing spray.
Temperatures minus 10 to minus 5 falling to minus 15 to minus 10 near midnight.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 11 February 2016 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4835N 5305W to 4810N 4955W
to 5145N 5010W to 5500N 5145W to 5625N 5555W to 5800N 5800W then
northward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
9 tenths of grey ice including 1 tenth of first-year ice.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 11 February 2016
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 11 Feb estimated from Newfoundland near
4700N 5300W to 4430N 4915W to 4430N 4715W to 4715N 4515W to 4800N
4515W to 5500N 5100W to 6000N 5730W.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 11 Feb estimated from Quebec near
5046N 5900W to Newfoundland near 5003N 5742W.
Iceberg CountLess than 10 icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Belle IsleIssued 8:00 PM NST 11 February 2016
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 8:00 PM NST 11 February 2016 Tonight and Friday At 8:00 p.m. NST tonight departing low 991 mb located over the
northern Grand Banks.
At 3:00 a.m. NST Friday trough located on a line northwest-southeast
over Laurentian Fan.
By 3:30 p.m. NST Friday low 994 mb located over the eastern
Marine Weather StatementIssued 7:51 PM NST 11 February 2016 A trough of low pressure is expected to approach the southern marine
district early on Friday. As the trough tracks through the Southern
Grand Banks, an intense but localized low pressure system is forecast
to develop within it. A small area of gale force southwesterly winds
is expected to develop just south of the low, with the potential to
produce wind gusts nearing storm force. The low will quickly exit the
marine district by Friday evening.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for the
Southern Grand Banks.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for Strait of Belle Isle, Gulf waters, Southwest Coast,
Northeast Coast, Belle Isle Bank and Funk Island Bank.
Atlantic - Labrador Area
- Belle Isle Bank
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Labrador Sea
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Lake Melville
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northwest Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - southeastern half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Resolution - eastern half
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- South Labrador Sea - southeastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle
- Ungava - eastern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: