Strait of Belle Isle
Issued 08:00 PM NST 24 February 2017
Tonight and Saturday
Wind variable 10 to 15 knots increasing to northeast 15 to 20 late overnight then diminishing to variable 10 to 15 Saturday afternoon. Wind increasing to southeast 15 to 20 Saturday evening.
Snow ending late overnight. Visibility 1 mile or less in snow.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water occasional freezing spray beginning overnight and ending Saturday afternoon.
Temperatures minus 8 to minus 2.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 24 February 2017 Today Tonight and Saturday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4750N 5300W to 4740N 5000W
to 4830N 4900W to 5200N 4900W to 5500N 5200W to 5630N 5615W to 5800N
5800W then northward. Sea ice north and west of the ice edge.
9 tenths of first-year ice.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 24 February 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 24 Feb estimated from Newfoundland near
4655N 5300W to 4500N 4730W to 4500N 4615W to 4600N 4500W to 4700N
4445W to 5030N 4600W to 5300N 4915W to 5700N 5400W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 24 Feb estimated from Quebec near
5101N 5857W to Newfoundland near 5010N 5734W.
Iceberg CountLess than 10 icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Belle IsleIssued 8:00 PM NST 24 February 2017
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 8:00 PM NST 24 February 2017 Tonight and Saturday At 8:00 p.m. NST tonight trough located north of Anticosti Island.
By 10:00 a.m. NST Saturday departing trough located over the
northern Grand Banks.
At 8:00 p.m. NST tonight building ridge located over northern
By 8:00 p.m. NST Saturday ridge located on a line
northwest-southeast over Funk Island Bank.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 7:51 PM NST 24 February 2017 Marine interests are advised that all gale warnings are ended.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for Strait of Belle Isle, Northeast Gulf, Northeast Coast,
Belle Isle Bank, and Funk Island Bank.
Atlantic - Labrador Area
- Belle Isle Bank - eastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Labrador Sea
- Funk Island Bank - northern half
- Funk Island Bank - southern half
- Lake Melville
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Northeast Coast
- Northwest Labrador Sea - eastern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - western half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Resolution - eastern half
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - eastern half
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle
- Ungava - eastern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: