South Labrador Coast
Issued 09:30 AM NDT 23 March 2017
Today Tonight and Friday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind north 25 knots increasing to northwest 35 to 45 this afternoon then diminishing to west 25 near noon Friday. Wind diminishing to west 15 to 20 Friday afternoon then backing to southwest 25 Friday evening.
Flurries ending this evening. Visibility as low as 1 mile in flurries.
Risk of freezing spray.
Temperatures minus 18 to minus 10.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 22 March 2017 Today Tonight and Thursday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4805N 5255W to 4715N 4735W
to 4745N 4615W to 5135N 4925W to 5150N 5140W to 5500N 5240W to 5650N
5650W to 5800N 5700W then northward. Sea ice north and west of the
9 plus tenths of first-year ice including a trace of old ice.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 22 March 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 22 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4700N 5305W to 4515N 4700W to 4715N 4200W to 4900N 4215W to 5200N
4545W to 5300N 5000W to 5600N 5200W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 22 Mar estimated from Newfoundland
near 4925N 5802W to Quebec near 5032N 5954W.
Iceberg CountMore than 100 icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
South Labrador CoastIssued 09:30 AM NDT 23 March 2017
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 AM NDT 23 March 2017 Today Tonight and Friday At 9:30 a.m. NDT today low 987 mb located over eastern Newfoundland.
By 4:00 a.m. NDT Friday low 975 mb located east of Belle Isle Bank.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:19 AM NDT 23 March 2017 A low pressure system over Eastern Newfoundland will approach the
district from the south today. Strong to gale force northwesterlies
will develop over most waters ahead of the low this afternoon.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for the
South Labrador Coast, Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south, South
Labrador Sea, and East Labrador Sea.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Labrador Sea.
Atlantic - Labrador Area
- Belle Isle Bank - eastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Labrador Sea
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Lake Melville
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Northeast Coast
- Northwest Labrador Sea - eastern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - western half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Resolution - eastern half
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - eastern half
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Ungava - eastern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: