Issued 09:30 AM NST 25 January 2015
Today Tonight and Monday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind light increasing to northeast 35 knots near noon then backing to northwest 40 early this evening. Wind diminishing to northwest 30 near midnight and to west 15 to 20 Monday evening.
Snow. Blowing snow ending near midnight. Visibility 1 mile or less in blowing snow.
Temperatures minus 17 rising to minus 10 this afternoon then falling to minus 19 Monday morning.
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 25 January 2015 Today Tonight and Monday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4840N 5300W to 5135N 4925W to 5540N 5250W to 5625N 5555W to 5800N 5730W then northward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Consolidated first-year ice.
Warnings (In effect)
Lake MelvilleIssued 09:30 AM NST 25 January 2015
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 AM NST 25 January 2015 Today Tonight and Monday At 9:30 a.m. NST today intensifying low 956 mb located over the
northern Gulf of St. Lawrence.
By 9:30 a.m. NST Monday low 944 mb located over the East Labrador
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:28 AM NST 25 January 2015 An intensifying low pressure system over gulf Port-au-Port at
forecast issue time will track across Southeastern Labrador as a
major storm today. It will continue to track northeast and exit the
East Labrador Sea by Monday evening. Gale to storm force easterlies
will develop north of its track and shift to gale to hurricane force
northwesterlies in its wake. Storm force southwesterlies will develop
to the south of its track.
Marine interests are advised that a hurricane force wind warning is
in effect for the East Labrador Sea. Storm warnings are in effect for
all remaining waters except Lake Melville where a gale warning is in
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all open waters.
Atlantic - Labrador Area
- Belle Isle Bank - eastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Labrador Sea - northern half
- East Labrador Sea - southern half
- Funk Island Bank
- Lake Melville
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northwest Labrador Sea - eastern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - western half
- North Labrador Coast
- Resolution - eastern half
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - northern half
- South Labrador Sea - southern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Ungava - eastern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: