Issued 04:00 AM NST 28 February 2017
Today Tonight and Wednesday
Wind southwest 20 knots veering to west 25 this morning then backing to southwest 15 to 20 this evening. Wind diminishing to variable 10 to 15 near noon Wednesday then increasing to northeast 25 Wednesday evening.
Periods of snow beginning Wednesday morning.
Temperatures minus 17 rising to minus 3 Wednesday afternoon then falling to minus 8 Wednesday evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 27 February 2017 Today Tonight and Tuesday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4730N 5235W to 4725N 5100W
to 4830N 4900W to 5045N 4830W to 5515N 5200W to 5630N 5615W to 5800N
5800W then northward. Sea ice north and west of the ice edge.
Consolidated first-year ice.
No watches or warnings in effect.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM NST 28 February 2017 Today Tonight and Wednesday At 4:00 a.m. NST today weakening low 980 mb located north of
By 4:00 p.m. NST today trough located north of the Northwest
At 4:00 a.m. NST today trough located on a line east-west over
the East Labrador Sea.
By 4:00 a.m. NST Wednesday departing trough located southeast of
At 4:00 a.m. NST today ridge located over Quebec.
By 4:00 a.m. NST Wednesday ridge located over southeastern Labrador.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:51 AM NST 28 February 2017 A low pressure system will remain quasi-stationary north of the
Labrador Sea and gradually weaken into a trough by this afternoon.
Meanwhile, a trough of low pressure over the East Labrador Sea will
move southeastward and out of the district by this evening.
A ridge of high pressure will approach the district today. Winds will
increase to strong to gale force northwesterlies over most waters
today between the troughs and approaching ridge.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for
South Labrador Coast, Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south, North
Labrador Coast - north of Saglek, South Labrador Sea, and Northwest
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Labrador Sea.
Atlantic - Labrador Area
- Belle Isle Bank - eastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Labrador Sea
- Funk Island Bank - northern half
- Funk Island Bank - southern half
- Lake Melville
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Northeast Coast
- Northwest Labrador Sea - eastern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - western half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Resolution - eastern half
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - eastern half
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: