East Labrador Sea
Issued 04:00 PM NDT 25 March 2017
Tonight and Sunday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southwest 15 to 20 knots diminishing to variable 10 to 15 this evening then increasing to southwest 20 near noon Sunday except northeast 35 over northern sections.
Flurries. Visibility 1 mile or less in flurries.
Temperatures minus 6 rising to minus 5 to zero Sunday morning.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 25 March 2017 Today Tonight and Sunday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4805N 5255W to 4700N 4840W
to 4840N 4655W to 5500N 5200W to 5630N 5540W to 5800N 5700W then
northward. Sea ice north and west of the ice edge.
Forecasts available to mariners upon request.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 25 March 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 25 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4700N 5304W to 4515N 4800W to 4515N 4600W to 4715N 4145W to 5000N
4145W to 5145N 4615W to 5300N 5000W to 5600N 5200W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 25 Mar estimated from Newfoundland
near 4907N 5824W to Quebec near 5015N 6018W.
Iceberg CountForecasts available to mariners upon request.
Warnings (In effect)
East Labrador SeaIssued 4:00 PM NDT 25 March 2017
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM NDT 25 March 2017 Tonight and Sunday At 4:00 p.m. NDT today low 994 mb located over the Northwest
By 4:00 p.m. NDT Sunday low 998 mb located over the South Labrador
At 9:30 a.m. NDT Sunday approaching low 998 mb located east of
the East Labrador Sea.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:54 PM NDT 25 March 2017 A low pressure system over the Northwest Labrador Sea will begin to
move slowly southwards tonight. Behind this low, gale to storm force
northwesterlies will spread southwards tonight through Sunday.
A second low will approach from the east on Sunday. Strong to gale
force winds are expected over eastern waters with this system.
Marine interests are advised that a storm warning is in effect for
North Labrador Coast. Gale warnings are in effect for all remaining
waters except Lake Melville and South Labrador Sea - eastern half.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for South Labrador Sea and Northwest Labrador Sea.
Atlantic - Labrador Area
- Belle Isle Bank - eastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Labrador Sea
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Lake Melville
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Northeast Coast
- Northwest Labrador Sea - eastern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - western half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Resolution - eastern half
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - eastern half
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Ungava - eastern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: