East Labrador Sea
Issued 04:00 PM NST 12 February 2016
Tonight and Saturday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind east 25 to 35 knots except southwest 20 to 25 over southern sections.
Flurries. Visibility 1 mile or less in flurries.
Temperatures minus 2 to plus 2.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 12 February 2016 Today Tonight and Saturday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4835N 5305W to 4810N 4955W
to 5145N 5010W to 5500N 5145W to 5625N 5555W to 5800N 5730W then
northward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Forecasts available to mariners upon request.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 12 February 2016
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 12 Feb estimated from Newfoundland near
4700N 5300W to 4415N 4915W to 4415N 4715W to 4700N 4500W to 4745N
4515W to 5300N 4915W to 5700N 5400W.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 12 Feb estimated from Quebec near
5041N 5918W to Newfoundland near 4952N 5749W.
Iceberg CountForecasts available to mariners upon request.
Warnings (In effect)
East Labrador SeaIssued 4:00 PM NST 12 February 2016
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM NST 12 February 2016 Tonight and Saturday At 4:00 p.m. NST today quasi-stationary low 979 mb located over
the Northwest Labrador Sea.
At 4:00 p.m. NST today quasi-stationary trough from 979 mb low
located on a line east-west over the East Labrador Sea.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:55 PM NST 12 February 2016 A low pressure system over the Northwest Labrador Sea will remain
quasi - stationary for the remainder of the forecast period. Strong
to gale force easterlies are expected north of the low while gale to
storm force northwesterlies are forecast west of the low.
Marine interests are advised that a storm warning is in effect for
the North Labrador Coast. Gale warnings are in effect for Mid
Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale, South Labrador Sea - northwestern
half, the Northwest Labrador Sea - northwestern half and the East
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all open waters except the East Labrador Sea.
Atlantic - Labrador Area
- Belle Isle Bank
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Labrador Sea
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Lake Melville
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northwest Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - southeastern half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Resolution - eastern half
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- South Labrador Sea - southeastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Ungava - eastern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: