Hecate Strait - northern half
Issued 09:30 PM PDT 17 October 2017
Tonight and Wednesday.
Storm warning in effect.
Wind southeast 35 to 45 knots increasing to southeast 55 after midnight then diminishing to southwest 25 early Wednesday morning. Wind increasing to southeast 25 to 35 Wednesday afternoon then diminishing to south 20 Wednesday evening.
Rain late this evening and overnight. Showers beginning early Wednesday afternoon with risk of thunderstorms. Visibility 1 mile or less in rain.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Hecate Strait - northern halfIssued 9:30 PM PDT 17 October 2017
'Storm' force winds of 48 to 63 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PDT 17 October 2017 Tonight and Wednesday At 9:30 p.m. PDT tonight frontal system located over western Bowie.
By 7:00 a.m. PDT Wednesday departing frontal system located on a
line northwest-southeast over Hecate Strait.
At 5:00 a.m. PDT Wednesday cold front located on a line
northeast-southwest over northern Vancouver Island.
By 3:00 p.m. PDT Wednesday departing cold front located on a line
northeast-southwest over southern Vancouver Island.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:25 PM PDT 17 October 2017 A frontal system is moving through the northern and central waters
this evening. This system will cross the north and central
Coasts on Wednesday morning. Winds are rising quickly to storm force
southeasterlies ahead of frontal system. Winds will veer to
Southwest gales in its wake.
Gale force southeasterlies will also develop over the
South Coast overnight into Wednesday morning as the system
approaches. As the system moves inland late Wednesday, winds will
become strong south or southwesterlies in its wake.
Seas will build to near 6 metres over the northern and central waters
tonight, and to near 9 metres over the offshore waters Wednesday
Mackenzie - Mackenzie River Area
- Axe Point mile 91 to Camsell Bend mile 290
- Bowie - northern half
- Camsell Bend mile 290 to Tulita mile 512
- Dixon Entrance East
- Dixon Entrance West - east of Langara
- Dixon Entrance West - west of Langara
- Fort Good Hope mile 684 to Point Separation mile 913
- Great Slave Lake - basin
- Great Slave Lake - east arm
- Great Slave Lake - north arm
- Hecate Strait - northern half
- Lake Athabasca - eastern half
- Lake Athabasca - western half
- North Mackenzie
- North Tuktoyaktuk
- Point Separation mile 913 to Kittigazuit Bay mile 1081
- Prince Alfred
- Prince of Wales
- Tuktoyaktuk - northern half
- Tuktoyaktuk - southern half
- Tulita mile 512 to Fort Good Hope mile 684
- West Coast Haida Gwaii
- Wrigley Harbour mile 0 to Axe Point mile 91
- Yukon Coast
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: