South Labrador Sea - northwestern half
Issued 09:30 PM NDT 23 April 2017
Tonight and Monday
Wind west 20 knots backing to south 25 late overnight then veering to west 30 Monday afternoon.
Periods of snow or rain ending late overnight. Flurries beginning Monday afternoon. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Occasional freezing spray.
Temperatures minus 5 to plus 2.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 23 April 2017 Today Tonight and Monday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4655N 5335W to 4640N 5345W
to 4625N 5320W to 4640N 5240W to 4920N 5145W to 5015N 5300W to 5200N
5050W to 5505N 5250W to 5700N 5700W to 5800N 5700W then
northeastward. Sea ice north and west of the ice edge.
Bergy water except 9 tenths of first-year ice including a trace of
old ice in the extreme western section.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 23 April 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 23 Apr estimated from Newfoundland near
4740N 5720W to 4400N 5700W to 4045N 5200W to 4045N 4645W to 4800N
4215W to 5115N 4400W to 5300N 4945W to 5600N 4900W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 23 Apr estimated from Newfoundland
near 4736N 5909W to Anticosti Island near 5022N 6323W.
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
South Labrador SeaIssued 9:30 PM NDT 23 April 2017
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM NDT 23 April 2017 Tonight and Monday At 9:30 p.m. NDT tonight intensifying low 995 mb located over the
southeastern Northwest Labrador Sea.
By 9:30 a.m. NDT Monday departing low 990 mb located over the
northern Northwest Labrador Sea.
At 9:30 a.m. NDT Monday trough located over eastern Labrador.
By 4:00 p.m. NDT Monday intensifying low 992 mb located over
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:20 PM NDT 23 April 2017 A low pressure system over the South Labrador Sea will continue to
move northwards tonight. Gale force southeasterlies over extreme
eastern waters will diminish Monday morning.
Marine interests are advised that a gale warning is in effect for
East Labrador Sea. Marine interests are also advised that a freezing
spray warning is in effect for South Labrador Sea.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde - northern half
- East Clyde - southern half
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - southeastern half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: