South Labrador Sea - western half
Issued 04:00 AM NDT 27 April 2017
Today Tonight and Friday
Wind northwest 25 knots backing to west 15 to 20 this morning then diminishing to variable 10 to 15 this evening. Wind increasing to southeast 15 to 20 Friday afternoon.
Periods of snow ending this afternoon. Visibility 1 mile or less in snow.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Outside the ice edge freezing spray ending this evening.
Temperatures minus 14 to minus 6 rising to minus 6 to minus 2 Friday morning.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 26 April 2017 Today Tonight and Thursday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4715N 5245W to 4700N 5205W
to 4730N 5145W to 5015N 5205W to 5230N 4930W to 5800N 5630W then
northeastward. Sea ice north and west of the ice edge.
7 tenths of first-year ice including a trace of old ice except 9
plus tenths of first-year ice including a trace of old ice in the
extreme western section.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 26 April 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 26 Apr estimated from Newfoundland near
4740N 5720W to 4400N 5700W to 4015N 5145W to 4030N 4645W to 4745N
4215W to 5115N 4400W to 5300N 4945W to 5600N 4900W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 26 Apr estimated from Quebec near
5021N 6239W to Anticosti Island near 4914N 6156W then from Anticosti
Island near 5910N 6225W to Newfoundland near 4737N 5914W.
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
South Labrador Sea - western halfIssued 04:00 AM NDT 27 April 2017
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM NDT 27 April 2017 Today Tonight and Friday At 4:00 a.m. NDT today quasi-stationary low 987 mb located southeast
At 4:00 a.m. NDT today ridge located over western Labrador.
By 4:00 a.m. NDT Friday ridge located on a line northwest-southeast
over Labrador Coast.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:50 AM NDT 27 April 2017 A low pressure system southeast of Greenland will remain
quasi-stationary today before gradually moving farther east tonight.
Strong to gale force west to northwesterlies will ease overnight as
the low moves away.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for
North Labrador Coast and the Labrador Sea except for the South
Labrador Sea - western half.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Labrador Sea.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde - northern half
- East Clyde - southern half
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea - northeastern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - southwestern half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - eastern half
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: