South Labrador Sea - eastern half
Issued 04:00 PM NST 23 February 2017
Tonight and Friday
Wind northwest 25 knots.
Flurries. Visibility 1 mile or less in flurries.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Outside the ice edge freezing spray.
Temperatures minus 5 to minus 1 falling to minus 10 to minus 5 this evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 23 February 2017 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4750N 5300W to 4740N 5000W
to 4830N 4900W to 5200N 4900W to 5500N 5200W to 5630N 5615W to 5800N
5800W then northward. Sea ice north and west of the ice edge.
Bergy water except 2 tenths of first-year ice including a trace of
old ice in the extreme southwestern section.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 23 February 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 23 Feb estimated from Newfoundland near
4705N 5258W to 4500N 4730W to 4500N 4615W to 4600N 4500W to 4700N
4500W to 5030N 4600W to 5300N 4915W to 5700N 5400W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 23 Feb estimated from Quebec near
5101N 5857W to Newfoundland near 5010N 5734W.
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
South Labrador SeaIssued 4:00 PM NST 23 February 2017
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM NST 23 February 2017 Tonight and Friday At 4:00 p.m. NST today trough located on a line east-west over
the South Labrador Sea.
By 9:30 p.m. NST tonight departing trough located southeast of
At 4:00 p.m. NST today intensifying trough located over the
Northwest Labrador Sea.
By 9:30 a.m. NST Friday trough located southwest of Greenland.
At 4:00 p.m. NST today ridge located over northern Quebec.
By 4:00 p.m. NST Friday ridge located over northern Labrador.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:49 PM NST 23 February 2017 A trough of low pressure over the Northwest Labrador Sea will
intensify as it tracks eastward across the Labrador Sea tonight to
lie off the coast of Greenland by Friday morning. Meanwhile, a ridge
of high pressure over Northern Quebec will build and strengthen
across Northern Labrador. Gale force northwesterlies will develop on
Friday over northwestern waters between these features.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for the
North Labrador Coast and Northwest Labrador Sea.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Labrador Sea.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde - northern half
- East Clyde - southern half
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea - eastern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - western half
- North Labrador Coast
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - eastern half
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- Ungava - eastern half
- Ungava - western half
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: