South Labrador Sea - eastern half
Issued 04:00 PM NDT 29 April 2017
Tonight and Sunday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 20 knots becoming west 15 to 20 this evening then increasing to northwest 25 to 35 late overnight. Wind increasing to northwest 35 to 45 Sunday morning.
A few showers or flurries and fog patches changing to flurries late overnight.
Temperatures zero to plus 3 falling to minus 3 to zero Sunday morning.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 29 April 2017 Today Tonight and Sunday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4730N 5240W to 4735N 5135W
to 5055N 4925W to 5230N 5000W to 5800N 5630W then northeastward. Sea
ice north and west of the ice edge.
Bergy water except 4 tenths of first-year ice including a trace of
old ice in the extreme southwestern section.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 29 April 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 29 Apr estimated from Newfoundland near
4740N 5719W to 4400N 5700W to 4245N 5500W to 4230N 4900W to 4600N
4430W to 5000N 4600W to 5300N 4900W to 5600N 4900W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 29 Apr estimated from Newfoundland
near 4737N 5916W to Quebec near 5015N 6314W.
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
South Labrador Sea - eastern halfIssued 4:00 PM NDT 29 April 2017
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM NDT 29 April 2017 Tonight and Sunday At 4:00 p.m. NDT today intensifying trough located off Labrador
By 4:00 a.m. NDT Sunday quasi-stationary low 985 mb located over
the Northwest Labrador Sea.
At 4:00 p.m. NDT today weakening ridge located east of the East
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:45 PM NDT 29 April 2017 A trough of low pressure off the Labrador coast will move slowly
northward and then become nearly stationary as a deepening low
pressure system over the Northwest Labrador Sea tonight and Sunday.
Strong to gale force southeasterlies will develop today ahead of the
low with gale to storm force northwesterlies developing in its wake.
Marine interests are advised that a storm warning is in effect for
North Labrador Coast and Northwest Labrador Sea. Gale warnings are in
effect for all remaining waters except Lake Melville.
Marine interests are advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for South Labrador Coast, South Labrador Sea - western half,
and Northwest Labrador Sea.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde - northern half
- East Clyde - southern half
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea - eastern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - western half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - eastern half
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: