South Labrador Sea
Issued 04:00 AM NST 09 December 2016
Today Tonight and Saturday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind light increasing to north 15 to 20 knots this evening and to north 35 to 45 Saturday morning.
Flurries. Visibility as low as 1 mile in flurries.
Temperatures minus 3 to plus 1.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 8 December 2016 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Labrador near 5335N 5600W to 5430N 5645W to
5545N 6000W to 5755N 6120W to 6005N 6345W to 6000N 6300W to 5935N
6155W then northward. Sea ice west and north of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 8 December 2016
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 9 Dec estimated from Newfoundland near
5037N 5610W to 5100N 5200W to 5500N 5200W to 6000N 6000W to 6100N
5400W to 5700N 5000W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 9 Dec estimated from Quebec near
5030N 5932W to 4945N 5855W to Newfoundland near 4945N 5750W.
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
South Labrador SeaIssued 04:00 AM NST 09 December 2016
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM NST 9 December 2016 Today Tonight and Saturday At 4:00 a.m. NST today trough located over the Northwest Labrador
By 4:00 a.m. NST Saturday dissipating trough located over the Mid
At 4:00 a.m. NST today low 989 mb located south of Newfoundland.
By 4:00 a.m. NST Saturday low 954 mb located northeast of Belle
At 4:00 a.m. NST today ridge located over the South Labrador Sea.
By 4:00 p.m. NST today departing ridge located southeast of
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:45 AM NST 9 December 2016 A trough of low pressure over the Northwest Labrador Sea will slowly
drift southwestward to lie northeast of Nain by this afternoon.
Gale force northerlies will develop northwest of this feature by this
An intense low pressure system currently south of Newfoundland will
approach the marine district tonight. Strong to gale force easterly
to northwesterly winds will spread across southern and eastern waters
overnight as the low approaches.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except Lake Melville.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all waters except South Labrador Sea, Northwest Labrador
Sea - southeastern half and East Labrador Sea.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde - northern half
- East Clyde - southern half
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - southeastern half
- North Labrador Coast
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- Ungava - eastern half
- Ungava - western half
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: