Northwest Labrador Sea
Issued 09:30 PM NDT 28 April 2016
Tonight and Friday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northeast 30 knots increasing to northeast 35 to 45 Friday morning then backing to north 25 to 35 Friday evening.
Snow and rain. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation.
Temperatures minus 3 to plus 3.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 11:00 AM EDT 28 April 2016 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from 5800N 5730W to 6100N 5930W to 6400N 5845W to
6420N 5755W then northeastward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Bergy water except 8 tenths of first-year ice including 1 tenth of
old ice in the western section.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 28 April 2016
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 28 Apr estimated from Newfoundland near
4644N 5305W to 4400N 4945W to 4400N 4745W to 4515N 4245W to 4700N
4130W to 4845N 4215W to 5000N 4315W to 5300N 4730W to 5600N 4900W
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 28 Apr estimated from Quebec near
5119N 5759W to Newfoundland near 5042N 5723W.
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Northwest Labrador SeaIssued 9:30 PM NDT 28 April 2016
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM NDT 28 April 2016 Tonight and Friday At 9:30 p.m. NDT tonight low 993 mb located over the South
By 4:00 a.m. NDT Friday merging low 979 mb located northeast of
Belle Isle Bank.
At 9:30 p.m. NDT tonight intensifying low 995 mb located east of
Belle Isle Bank.
By 4:00 p.m. NDT Friday low 976 mb located over southwestern
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:21 PM NDT 28 April 2016 A low pressure system over the South Labrador Sea and a low pressure
system east of Belle Isle Bank will track northeastwards to merge
into one system northeast of Belle Isle Bank overnight tonight.
The resulting low will intensify as it moves back southwestwards
towards the South Labrador Coast on Friday. Strong to gale force
northeast to northwesterlies will continue to develop tonight ahead
of these features.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except Lake Melville.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the South Labrador Coast and Mid Labrador Coast.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin - northern half
- East Baffin - southern half
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde - northern half
- East Clyde - southern half
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea
- North Labrador Coast
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - eastern half
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- Ungava - eastern half
- Ungava - western half
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: