Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
Issued 04:00 PM NST 18 December 2014
Tonight and Friday
Wind west 25 knots with gusts to 35 near fjords. Wind becoming northwest 20 to 25 this evening.
A few flurries beginning late overnight and ending late Friday morning. Visibility as low as 1 mile in flurries.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water freezing spray.
Temperatures minus 12 to minus 7.
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 18 December 2014 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from northern peninsula near 5020N 5625W to 5025N 5555W to 5140N 5520W to 5140N 5550W to 5120N 5650W to northern peninsula near 5100N 5705W. Sea ice south of the ice edge. Second ice edge estimated from Labrador near 5215N 5540W to 5310N 5430W to 5635N 6005W to 5810N 6115W to 5825N 6100W then northeastward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Bergy water except 9 tenths of grey ice including 1 tenth of grey-white ice along the coast.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 18 December 2014
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 19 Dec estimated from the Labrador coast near 5330N 5605W to 5330N 5230W to 5600N 5230W to 6000N 5600W.
Iceberg CountLess than 10 icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Mid Labrador Coast - north of HopedaleIssued 4:00 PM NST 18 December 2014
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM NST 18 December 2014 Tonight and Friday At 4:00 p.m. NST today weakening ridge located on a line east-west
over the South Labrador Coast.
At 4:00 p.m. NST today low located west of Greenland.
By 4:00 a.m. NST Friday departing low located east of Greenland.
At 4:00 p.m. NST today low 992 mb located near Prince Edward Island.
By 4:00 p.m. NST Friday low 989 mb located over Belle Isle Bank.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:49 PM NST 18 December 2014 A ridge of high pressure over the Southern Labrador coast will remain
nearly stationary and gradually weaken this evening. Meanwhile, a low
pressure system west of Greenland will track eastward away from the
marine district tonight. Strong to gale force northwesterlies between
these two features will diminish this evening as the ridge weakens
and the low moves away.
A second low pressure system near Prince Edward Island will track
northeastward across Newfoundland on Friday morning. Strong to gale
force northerlies will develop over southernmost waters ahead of this
system late in the day on Friday.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for the
South Labrador Coast, North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek and
Northwest Labrador Sea - northern half.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale, North Labrador
Coast and the Labrador Sea.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin - northern half
- East Baffin - southern half
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde - northern half
- East Clyde - southern half
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea - northern half
- East Labrador Sea - southern half
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea - northern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - southern half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- Ungava - eastern half
- Ungava - western half
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: