East Labrador Sea
Issued 04:00 PM NST 11 February 2016
Tonight and Friday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind east 35 knots except southwest 15 to 20 over southern sections Friday.
Flurries. Visibility 1 mile or less in flurries.
Temperatures minus 2 to plus 2.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 11 February 2016 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4835N 5305W to 4810N 4955W
to 5145N 5010W to 5500N 5145W to 5625N 5555W to 5800N 5800W then
northward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Forecasts available to mariners upon request.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 11 February 2016
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 11 Feb estimated from Newfoundland near
4700N 5300W to 4430N 4915W to 4430N 4715W to 4715N 4515W to 4800N
4515W to 5500N 5100W to 6000N 5730W.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 11 Feb estimated from Quebec near
5046N 5900W to Newfoundland near 5003N 5742W.
Iceberg CountForecasts available to mariners upon request.
Warnings (In effect)
East Labrador SeaIssued 4:00 PM NST 11 February 2016
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM NST 11 February 2016 Tonight and Friday At 4:00 p.m. NST today intensifying trough located on a line
east-west over the South Labrador Sea.
By 4:00 p.m. NST Friday low 979 mb located over the Northwest
At 4:00 p.m. NST today dissipating ridge located on a line
north-south over Baffin Bay.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:56 PM NST 11 February 2016 A trough of low pressure over the South Labrador Sea is expected to
intensify into a low pressure system tonight. Strong to gale force
easterlies are expected north of the low while gale to storm force
northwesterlies are expected west of the low tonight and Friday.
Marine interests are advised that a storm warning is in effect for
the North Labrador Coast. Gale warnings are in effect for all
remaining waters except Lake Melville, South Labrador Coast and South
Labrador Sea - southeastern half.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all open waters except the East Labrador Sea.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin - northern half
- East Baffin - southern half
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde - northern half
- East Clyde - southern half
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - southeastern half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- Ungava - eastern half
- Ungava - western half
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: