West Coast Vancouver Island South
Issued 04:00 PM PST 17 January 2017
Tonight and Wednesday
Storm warning in effect.
Wind southeast 40 to 50 knots diminishing to southeast 25 to 35 this evening then increasing to southeast 40 to 50 early Wednesday morning. Wind diminishing to southwesterly 25 to 35 near noon Wednesday and to southerly 15 to 25 Wednesday evening.
Rain at times heavy.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
West Coast Vancouver Island SouthIssued 4:00 PM PST 17 January 2017
'Storm' force winds of 48 to 63 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM PST 17 January 2017 Tonight and Wednesday At 4:00 p.m. PST today low 972 mb located over southern Bowie.
By 4:00 a.m. PST Wednesday low 966 mb located west of Langara.
At 4:00 a.m. PST Wednesday trough located southwest of Explorer.
By 10:30 a.m. PST Wednesday trough located over northern Vancouver
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:43 PM PST 17 January 2017 An area of low pressure over the southern part of Bowie this
afternoon will track northward off the west coast of Haida Gwaii this
evening to lie west of Langara Island overnight.
Gale to storm force southeasterly winds will continue tonight over
most waters. Winds will ease on Wednesday over the central and
northern waters as the low moves north of Haida Gwaii.
A trough of low pressure approaching Vancouver Island on Wednesday
morning will maintain gale to storm force southeasterly winds over
the southern waters. Winds over the southern waters will ease late
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: