Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
Issued 09:30 PM PST 18 November 2017
Tonight and Sunday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 15 to 25 knots increasing to southeast 30 to 35 early Sunday morning then diminishing to south 15 to 25 Sunday afternoon. Wind diminishing to south 10 to 15 early Sunday evening.
Rain ending Sunday evening. Visibility 1 mile or less in rain.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Georgia - south of NanaimoIssued 9:30 PM PST 18 November 2017
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PST 18 November 2017 Tonight and Sunday At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight frontal system located from Queen Charlotte
Sound to Explorer.
By 1:00 p.m. PST Sunday frontal system located on a line
northeast-southwest over southern Vancouver Island.
At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight departing low 999 mb located near the
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:23 PM PST 18 November 2017 A 999 millibar low near the mainland North Coast will move inland
near midnight. An associated frontal system on a northeast to
southwest line through Queen Charlotte Sound and Explorer will move
slowly southwards to lie through Northern Vancouver Island by early
Sunday morning then cross the South Coast by late Sunday afternoon.
Gale force southerly winds will prevail ahead of the front. Storm
force southeasterly winds off Northwestern Vancouver island will
Ease overnight as the low moves inland. Winds will ease to moderate
to strong westerlies behind the low and the front.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: