Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
Issued 04:00 PM PDT 22 May 2017
Tonight and Tuesday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 5 to 15 knots increasing to northwest 15 to 20 early this evening then diminishing to northwest 5 to 15 late this evening. Wind becoming light late overnight then increasing to southeast 10 to 15 late Tuesday morning. Wind increasing to west 20 to 30 Tuesday afternoon and to northwest 30 to 40 Tuesday evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Georgia - south of NanaimoIssued 4:00 PM PDT 22 May 2017
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM PDT 22 May 2017 Tonight and Tuesday At 4:00 p.m. PDT today weakening ridge located over Queen Charlotte
Sound extending southwestward.
By 11:00 p.m. PDT tonight weakening ridge located over Cape Scott
At 4:00 p.m. PDT today weakening frontal system located over Prince
Rupert extending southwestward.
By 4:00 p.m. PDT Tuesday frontal system located on a line
north-south over the Lower Mainland.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:50 PM PDT 22 May 2017 A stalled frontal system in a northeast to southwest line from
Prince Rupert to Southern Bowie will remain in place through
The front will eventually move across BC coast on Tuesday, pushed by
a strong upper trough. A strong ridge of high pressure will rebuild
in the wake of the front and generate gale to locally storm force
northwesterly winds over the BC waters on Tuesday.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: