Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
Issued 04:00 AM PDT 24 March 2017
Today Tonight and Saturday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 25 to 35 knots diminishing to southeast 15 to 25 early this evening and to southwest 10 to 15 overnight except southwest 25 near Qualicum Beach overnight and Saturday morning. Wind becoming southeast 5 to 15 Saturday afternoon.
Rain changing to a few showers near noon.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Georgia - north of NanaimoIssued 07:38 AM PDT 24 March 2017
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM PDT 24 March 2017 Today Tonight and Saturday At 4:00 a.m. PDT today low located over the offshore waters.
By 4:00 a.m. PDT Saturday departing low located 100 miles northwest
of Prince Rupert.
At 4:00 a.m. PDT Saturday building ridge located on a line
northwest-southeast over the Mainland Coast.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:49 AM PDT 24 March 2017 A low pressure system over the offshore waters this morning will
drift over to Haida Gwaii this afternoon then depart into the
Alaskan Panhandle early Saturday morning. Ahead of the low, gale
force southeasterly winds will be widespread along the coastal
waters. The winds will shift to gale force northwesterly over
offshore waters today behind the low. The northwest gales will
Spread to northern and central waters tonight then ease below gales
early Saturday morning.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: