Issued 04:00 AM PDT 23 May 2017
Today Tonight and Wednesday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 10 to 20 knots increasing to northwest 20 to 30 late this morning and to northwest 35 to 45 this afternoon. Wind diminishing to northwest 25 to 35 near midnight. Wind northwest 25 to 35 Wednesday.
Periods of rain ending Wednesday morning.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Johnstone StraitIssued 04:00 AM PDT 23 May 2017
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM PDT 23 May 2017 Today Tonight and Wednesday At 4:00 a.m. PDT today dissipating ridge located over central
At 4:00 a.m. PDT today frontal system located over Hecate Strait
By 4:00 p.m. PDT today frontal system located on a line north-south
over the Lower Mainland.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:40 AM PDT 23 May 2017 A frontal system in a northeast to southwest line from Hecate Strait
to Southern Bowie early this morning will move across the BC coast
today, pushed by a strong upper trough. A strong ridge of high
pressure will build in the wake of the front and generate
Gale to locally storm force northwesterly winds over the BC waters
today and tonight.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: